Luxury Tented Camp on the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River
Ashnil Samburu Camp sits in Buffalo Springs Game Reserve which takes its name from an oasis of crystal clear water at the western end of the reserve. It is separated from Samburu National Reserve by Ewaso Nyiro River and is less hilly and dense yet equally very attractive.
There are a total number of 30 luxury tents; 18 doubles, 9 with twin beds and 3 with triple beds. Each of the exclusive comfortable deluxe tents provides a perfect view of the Ewaso Nyiro River and beautiful surrounding landscape. Every spacious tent consists of a dressing area, sitting area, luggage rack and en-suite facilities to provide a memorable stay close to nature.
The main guest area, shaded by a canopy of acacia trees consists of the reception, lounge area, dining area, bar and veranda deck with a view of the river.
The open sitting restaurant located in the main building, overlooks the Ewaso Nyiro River and can sit a maximum of 100 guests. The restaurant serves set buffets featuring international, oriental and traditional African cuisine..
Meal plans: Full board accommodation basis.
The lounge is located in the main building away from the main dining area. The décor has an African touch that makes it a wonderful place to pass time and relax. There is a variety drinks served and include liqueur, soft drinks, cocktails, wines, and spirits, local and international beers. The seating capacity is about 60 guests.
Ashnil Hotels has embraced the idea by putting in place conference facilities in all the three lodges and camps to compliment professionals whose line of duty demands conferencing events. We have in place a conference facility with the latest modern technology, which include an LCD projector for clear vision and good sound system.
The souvenir shop stocks curios, African clothing, jewellery and accessories as well as other basic items like toiletries etc.
After an amazing game drive you can take a dip in our swimming pool or simply relax by the pool which has a wonderful viewing deck of the Ewaso Nyiro River. This is the perfect place to relax and laze around in the calm afternoons.
E-mails, internet browsing and general secretarial services are available on request at the reception.
We have a fully equipped clinic that caters for staff and guests. The nurse will provide assistance at a nominal fee and make referral to a larger well equipped hospital if need be.
Our game drives are all conducted in 4×4 vehicles and accompanied by a highly experienced driver guide. There are also a variety of safari activities which offer exciting add‐ons to one’s stay. Lectures on wildlife conservation and culture are regularly given.
This is a perfect way to end the day along the magnificent Ewaso Nyiro River where you can relax and watch the sun slowly set as you unwind with a cocktail before dinner.
Ashnil hotels will be prepared to arrange an exchange of vows in the ‘theatre of the wild’ – Buffalo Springs Game Reserve.
GUIDED NATURE WALKS
Guests can enjoy discovering the diversity of the national reserve on foot and have an intimate encounter with the wildlife and nature. For those who love bird watching our resident naturalist will take you on a guided tour through the reserve to learn about the various bird species.
Evening entertainment of Samburu cultural talks and dances gives you a special opportunity to gain in-sight in to the traditional lifestyle of the Samburu people. Also visit the Samburu villages and buy their unique handicrafts.
- The topography of the reserve is characterized by gentle rolling lowland plains and the main features include:
- Ancient lava-terrace that forms the Champagne Ride in the south east
- The buffalo springs – are permanent and provide drinking water for the wildlife making it attractive to diverse fauna and prolific bird life (about 400 species).
- The vegetation consists of doum palm and acacia riverine forest with a combination of scrubs and grasslands well adapted to the dry region.
The attractions in the area include:
- ‘the Special Five’; Reticulated giraffe, Grevys Zebra, Somali Ostrich, Beisa Oryx and the Gerenuk
- Prolific bird life – about 400 species of indigenous and migratory birds
- Variety of reptiles and aquatic species in the Ewaso Nyiro River
- Rich Cultural and community attractions – cultural villages which sell their traditional crafts, traditional dances, traditional food and a smile that lasts forever!!
- The spectacular Great Rift Valley
- Buffalo Springs – a gallery made from a boom explosion during the second world war
- The amazing escarpments – Ololokwe Mountains, Ndoto, Nyiro (Mathew ranges)
- Ewaso Nyiro river meanders through the rugged landscape
Posted by Josephine Posted on 22/04/2014
"Beautiful. Excellent service. This camp is a gem!! Will definitely be coming back soon."
Posted by leon kiteley Posted on 18/03/2014
"3 times now and each time so special. A wonderful location made even better by the warmth of the guys and gals that look after us !"
Thank You! Ashnil Samburu
Posted by Andrew Berkel Posted on 24/02/2014
""What a holiday! Thank you for the exceptional service, delicious food and unforgettable experience! See you next year!""
Posted by Norma Jenner Posted on 24/02/2014
"We had a wonderful stay. Was made to feel very welcome and this special place. - Norma Jenner."
Submit your review.